[Tagging] Mapping deforestation

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 00:50:22 UTC 2019

Le 11.03.19 à 23:57, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
> Mar 11, 2019, 10:28 PM by marc_marc:
>     Le 11.03.19 à 21:36, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
>         Mar 11, 2019, 8:58 PM by marc_marc_irc:
>         Le 11.03.19 à 19:27, Christoph Hormann a écrit :
>
>         we map positively what verifiably exists
>
>       with different imagery, it is possible to verify:
>       - that an old one shows trees: old:landcover=trees
>       - that a more recent one shows no trees. landcover=xyz
>       landuse=farmland
>
>     We do not map what was in the past and disappeared.
>

>   who is we ? check taginfo for ex 288k old_name or some lifecycle prefix
>   if some users keep old name, I see no issue to keep the old cover in
>   addition to the new one.
>
> old_name is OK - it is for name that is older/outdated but still in use
> among some people

"old_name only for name still in use" is your vision of things,
I doubt it's the common meaning.
When one shop is replaced by another, I always keep the old name with
old_name even if no one else uses it to designate the new store. the
primary purpose is to prevent someone from re-encoding the old store
with an older source than mine.

> The only case where it is a bit OK is for recently changed features
> (note="cycleway tagged here is not yet visible on aerial images"
> or note-"house visible on aerial images is demolished as of 2019-03").

some imagery takes a decade to update in some parts of the world.
some deforestation is not that long old.
so there's no real difference with your demolished house.