[Tagging] mapping large memorial objects that roads pass through.

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Mar 12 02:06:59 UTC 2019

I understand about tunnel=building_passage for ways that pass through structures, but there are some objects that roads go "under", similar to bridges, but are not bridge-like items.

In my local area, there are two large torii (shinto gates) that public roads pass through the center of. They are ~ 10m tall and about 10m wide, and the base poles are on their own landuse - but the public road and sidewalk go through the m.

The gate is a monument, and I mapped it as a building=yes & man_made=torii . I mapped the road and sidewalk as tunnels through it, but that seems wrong. It is a large object that deserves to be mapped, but I am unsure how to do it right.

I assume this comes up with footpaths that go through smaller torii, archways, trellis’, and other “overhead” structures, but often times those structures are unmapped.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/676152533

Javbw