[Tagging] mapping large memorial objects that roads pass through.

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 02:33:26 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:08 PM John Willis via Tagging
<tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I understand about tunnel=building_passage for ways that pass through structures, but there are some objects that roads go "under", similar to bridges, but are not bridge-like items.
>
> In my local area, there are two large torii (shinto gates) that public roads pass through the center of. They are ~ 10m tall and about 10m wide, and the base poles are on their own landuse - but the public road and sidewalk go through the m.
>
> The gate is a monument, and I mapped it as a building=yes & man_made=torii . I mapped the road and sidewalk as tunnels through it, but that seems wrong. It is a large object that deserves to be mapped, but I am unsure how to do it right.
>
> I assume this comes up with footpaths that go through smaller torii, archways, trellis’, and other “overhead” structures, but often times those structures are unmapped.

Map the entire footprint of the torii, and then map the section of the
road that passes under with covered=yes? That's what I've done for at
least one road (that passes under a building that is buit as a bridge
over a ravine) https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/478979357 . It
appears to render sensibly, and the tagging makes sense to me.