[Tagging] discouraging shop=fashion

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Mar 12 12:16:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, March 12, 2019 5:23 am, Marc Gemis wrote:
> Before deprecating the shop=fashion tag, shouldn't we reach out to the
> mappers that use shop=fashion ?
>
> Maybe they have a lot more domain knowledge than the people on this
> mailing list

There is of course value in sourcing outside of our group of
self-appointed priesthood - the values of clothes=* are a complicated
matter full of non-orthogonal dimensions, that absolutely requires input
from domain experts outside of this list... I did not know about the term
"fast fashion" until two minutes ago
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_fashion).

But it will be nice when this mess is relegated to the clothes=* subtag
while shop=clothes provides a simple and universally recognized category
that contributors with no domain knowledge can apply easily with few
mistakes.

There will be arguments for a distinct shop=fashion category - some may
remark that shop=fashion sells some shoes and some accessories... But
those are accessory - the main product is clothes and I claim that, in the
present case, taxonomic compactness is more valuable than this minor
distinction.

While large groups are superior in providing more information, they are
incapable of simplification - pushing it requires a small group and the
proposal can then be submitted to the community as a whole.

> and can explain why they used shop=fashion and not
> shop=clothes; clothes=...

>From the Openstreetmap data, I see no distinction in most cases - the
others look like they belong elsewhere, such as shop=cosmetics or
shop=bag.