[Tagging] mapping large memorial objects that roads pass through.

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 00:35:14 UTC 2019

Back in November and December we discussed this issue, but at a broader level:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-November/040928.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-December/041211.html

I was asking about archways or gateways over the road leading into a
neighborhood, which often have a sign with the neighborhood name in
Indonesia. We considered man_made=gantry (which in general can be used
for any sort of structure than goes over a road) or man_made=archway.

There was also a suggestion to tag some of these structures as a type
of artwork, although this is only sometimes relevant.

Torii gates are a very specific type of gateway, which I believe have
religious or spiritual meaning in Japanese Shinto culture. They also
seem very artistic, but I don't know if they are considered artwork in
Japan?

Perhaps they could be man_made=archway and archway=torii?

A specific tag like man_made=torii will mainly be useful in Japan (and
in a few neighborhoods with Japanese cultural influence around the
world), but a more general tag could be used for similar artistic and
cultural structures in other places. Many Hindu and Buddhist temples
in Southeast Asia have symbolic or artistic gateways at the entrance
to the sacred area, which have a similar role to a torii.

Also, I'm not sure about tagging these as a building. They are large
columns supporting symbolic roof, with no walls, if the example photos
on wikipedia are representative. Perhaps they could be tagged as
"building=roof" however.