[Tagging] Superroutes - good, bad or ugly?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Mar 14 00:40:36 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:19 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've hesitated to ask this question for months now: what's the
> consensus on superroutes?

Coherently and cogently mapping large countries with long routes (such as
the United States) would be essentially impossible without them.  I think
the current relation member limit is arbitrarily set to what fits in an 8
bit value IIRC; throw in everything that can cause a break (bridges,
changes in weight, speed and length maximums and minimums, whether or not
something is toll, lane counts and placement, turn lane status, etc) and it
wouldn't surprise me if states like Texas or California might have to start
using county-by-county child relations within a superrelation in order to
keep it all under the member limit in the foreseeable future.