[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 08:48:42 UTC 2019

I think your idea is good, but the scale and viewpoint are different from
the regular mapping perspective.

OSM-mappers map "What's on the ground" as seen from the ground, as detailed
as possible. Satellite imagery is only used to estimate and confiirm. Wjhat
one doesn't know, is left open. Where there is no landcover, no landcover
is mapped.

Your idea appears to colour Earth surface in large area's, according to
predominant cover as seen from satellite. Nothing would remain empty: if
there is nothing covering the earth, that's what you tag.

I see no way to unite these perspectives in the current landcover, landuse
and natural tagging. I think you would need a separate special tag for
this. E.g. sat_landcover=* defined specially for this purpose. Then you can
define "barren" as a satellite landcover, and you can set up a quality
assurance system based on systematic review according to satellite imagery.
Of course, other datausers will be able to use the data for rendering if
they see fit.

Since it's about changes in the course of time, how do you plan to record
and display the changes? Yearly datasets?

Fr gr Peter Elderson