[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Lorenzo Stucchi lorenzostucchi95 at outlook.it
Thu Mar 14 07:39:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Il giorno 14 mar 2019, alle ore 00:43, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com<mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>> ha scritto:

A good guide is to only map what you know, if you don't know - leave the map blank. Colouring in the map may look pretty, but it may hide errors that would be best left for others to find having been altered to the area by the blank area.

I think that with the propose of mapping deforestation if we add data in this area were the data aren’t present we don’t just coloured the map but we can create a good database, from which is possible to analyse the evolution of the forest area and have the possibility to study better some aspect of climate change.

landcover<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=barren<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dbarren&action=edit&redlink=1>.

NO! This fails to map what is there.

 Map the surrounding area with what you can see and leave a hole in it, use a relation to do it of the type=multipolygon.

I’m not agree because If we leave a empty area this can be everything that doesn’t have a tag, for example grass land where we are not sure if its grass or meadow, that its hard to distinguish it from the satellite.

landcover<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=artificial<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dartificial&action=edit&redlink=1>

Don't think so. Too general. And the text links it to are 3 land uses, these are not land covers.

I’m agree with you that this can be to general, exactly there are 3 different tag to tag the area if better quality imagery are available and is possible to distinguish between them.

landcover<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=cultivated<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dcultivated&action=edit&redlink=1>.
This is not a land cover, it is a land use. And OSM presently prefers a more detailed value.

I thinks that this is landcover, also for the reason explained in the introduction and considering the previous scientific studies.

landcover<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=trees<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dtrees>
This at least works .. it is a land cover and it does have trees. Unfortunately it does not render on many maps, so you might also tag it natural=wood.

Depends what we think that is more interesting the info in the database or the rendering of the map.

Thanks for your reply.

Best,
Lorenzo Stucchi