[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Mar 14 13:00:23 UTC 2019

> This can be hard to identify in large area with not optimal images
> so the proposal is to create the tag landcover=barren.

If things can not be tagged from aerial images then it is better to wait for new ones
rather than add something like that.

> Two types of classifications exist:
> natural=wood for not managed woods like for the main part of the Amazonia.
> landuse=forest for managed woods maintained by humans.

both are simply used for tree-covered areas, and distinction between them is
either ignored or interpreted in some many ways that it is simply meaningless
(note many natural=wood in Europe, where it is hard to find forest not maintained by humans)

> Also, this information partially needed a local knowledge so the more general
> tag used can be landcover=trees, also quite used as shown in taginfo.

Landcover trees is a rarely used tag, with over half of use in Paraguay that is
result of single series of edits. It is used by tiny minority of mappers.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=forest <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=forest>
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/natural=wood <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/natural=wood>
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landcover=trees

Mar 13, 2019, 8:49 PM by lorenzostucchi95 at outlook.it: