[Tagging] Superroutes - good, bad or ugly?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 14:40:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 11:21, Tony Shield <tony.shield999 at gmail.com> wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a superroute is a sequence of ways and
> relations of ways?

I'm not 100% certain.  The documentation on the wiki isn't entirely clear.
I suspect some of it
may have been scrubbed by those who dislike the concept of superroutes for
any purpose
whatsoever, but it may just never have been written in the first place.

As I understand it (possibly entirely inccorectly) it would be analogous
(using a slightly
different mechanism) to having the Wales Coast Path be a relation
comprising the
route for the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, the Ceredigion Coast Path, etc.  A
relation of
relations.

> The relation of ways could be called a route-segment or similar. A I see
> it routes for most trains and buses are a sequence of ways and
> route-segments, and a route-segment could be used by many routes.

I wasn't intending to share segments between routes.  I'm not sure if I
could make that work for
some of my purposes (I haven't thought about it enough to be sure).  It
probably won't be
universally applicable anyway, there are going to be routes that share a
particular segment but
not all of the stops on that segment.  Also fan-out of routes is going to
result in a lot of very
tiny segments that are possibly more trouble than they're worth and it's
probably less work to
make them longer segments.

--
Paul