[Tagging] Wild changes to wiki pages changing the cycleway tagging scheme

Antoine Riche antoine.riche at zaclys.net
Thu Mar 14 22:10:03 UTC 2019

Hello.

Yesterday Wiki user Cmuelle8
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Cmuelle8) changed a number of
Wiki pages with the following comment :(opposite_lane is a value for
unaffixed legacy cycleway=* tags (!!), it has no meaning with
cycleway:left, cycleway:right and cycleway:both and must not be used in
combination; use *:oneway=* which is indpendent of left/right hand
traffic systems)

The pages affected are
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Acycleway and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle, as well as the french
version of the former. There might be others.

Cmuelle introduces rather complex combinations of tags such as
cycleway:left
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway:left>=lane
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway:left%3Dlane> +
cycleway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway>:left
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:left>:oneway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:oneway>=-1
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:oneway%3D-1>. that should in
his view be used instead of cycleway:left=opposite_lane.
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:oneway%3Dyes> Does anyone on
this list know whether this change has been discussed anywhere, and
where and when it has been decided that cycleway=opposite_lane is a
"legacy tag" ? If so please point me at some references.

I cannot find any recent discussion about this and am wondering whether
this wiki change is an attempt to force a change in the model with no
discussion with the community...

Antoine.