[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 06:37:42 UTC 2019

Am 15. März 2019 00:19:22 MEZ schrieb althio <althio.forum at gmail.com>:
>Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If this seems viable, I would expand the proposal by a migration
>proposal from amenity=police to police=station
>>
>> I don’t think we should abandon amenity=police and it will likely not
>happen unless people tag so many different things with the tag that it
>becomes useless. My primary interest is in specifying the kind of
>police and facility, a generic amenity=police on top of that does not
>harm. If the new scheme becomes so widespread that every police station
>also has a more specific police=* tag, we can still decide to remove
>the amenity=police tags.

That sounds reasonable. So we'd keep amenity=police as the general indicator of police facilities and use police=* as a sub-tag to specify the type of facility. The current wiki page for amenity=police would consequently move to police=station and amenity=police would be reduced to indicate that the tag is used for all police facilities (and maybe hold a list of what's considered police by country).

I'll adapt the proposal.

>There is no need to abandon amenity=police for public facing police
>stations.

That, on the contrary, doesn't seem consequent to me. We'd end up with amenity=police and police=* as main tags for different types of police facilities. I fear that that would be confusing and cause inconsistent mapping.