[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 07:21:02 UTC 2019

Am 15. März 2019 07:55:31 MEZ schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:
>Please don’t change the established meaning of amenity=police; it
>should
>keep meaning “a public police station”.
>
>Most database users are only going to be interested in public police
>stations, that’s why we’ve gotten by for over 10 years with just
>amenity=police.

But amenity=police is currently used indiscriminately for *all* police stations, public-facing or not. That's what makes the current mapping inconsistent and impractical. To make it usable and consistent again, we'd at least have to either replace amenity=police by police=* in all non-public-facing police facilities or add police=* to the tagging of these facilities.

And, I don't think that tagging police stations as amenity=police and police=station would be too demanding for the average mapper. You just have to get used to it.

I simply find it undesirable to use different keys for things that are so closely connected in reality as is the case of police facilities.

Best, Jan