[Tagging] Wild changes to wiki pages changing the cycleway tagging scheme

Charles MILLET charlesmillet at free.fr
Fri Mar 15 08:23:54 UTC 2019

Taginfo shows it is not the preferred method 979<3562

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway%3Aleft%3Aoneway=-1

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway%3Aleft=opposite_lane

*=opposite_lane is/was well understood as far as I know (I am regularly
"teaching" OSM using the bicycle wiki page as reference).

Why using two tags when one works well, when the value opposite_lane
exists and the interpretation is the same?

I can understand the more structured aspect but using the :oneway value
not to traduce the oneway but its direction is not clean for me. Why not
using something with backward and forward in this case?

Just my opinion but if "cycleway:left:oneway=-1" is officially preferred
I will use it and promote it.

Charles