[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 14:53:58 UTC 2019

Am Sa., 16. März 2019 um 15:09 Uhr schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> > On 16. Mar 2019, at 13:11, Jan S <grimpeur78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > All other police facilites, that may currently have been tagged
> erroneously as amenity=police would be tagged only as police=*,
>

> The „problem“ with this approach is that maps who base the presence of
> objects in their renderings on the presence of specific keys will likely
> not happen to find these police=* things in their database. Depending on
> how relevant the objects are for the specific map, this may be desirable or
> not. Just as a point of consideration. Of course in theory who defines the
> filtering rules for the keys might add „police“, but in practice it takes a
> lot of time to establish a new key as standard.
>
> Sure, but currently amenity=police is used indiscriminately on many
police-related objects, no matter whether they are important or providing
background services. There are several instances of police barracks or
warehouses mapped as amenity=police, although they clearly don't provide
service to the public. So you basically can't rely on OSM to find a police
station in case of an emergency. I think that's worse than maybe losing
some other police facilities from certain maps.

Best, Jan