[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 16:15:36 UTC 2019

sent from a phone
> On 16. Mar 2019, at 15:53, Jan S <grimpeur78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So you basically can't rely on OSM to find a police station in case of an emergency.

let us not overemphasize the emergency in this context. In an urgent emergency you would expect the police to come to you rather than the opposite.

I agree that we should have an amenity tag for police stations (this still means many of them would be closed after office times, for example in Germany), and that amenity=police was defined so since the beginning.
And it appears that other police facilities and non public operations also bear the tag.

We could try to migrate those other police amenities to amenity=police_facility

some would better be retagged as office, but if you want a tag which more reliably states “police station”, it looks like a new subtag e.g. police=station could work.

There are already 22 of them ;-)
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/police#values
Most common (the only significantly used) value for “police” is “traffic_police” (987 uses). This is a type of police, not a type of facility.

Cheers, Martin