[Tagging] Status of oneway=cw oneway=ccw

s8evq s8evq at runbox.com
Sun Mar 17 07:54:43 UTC 2019

Thanks everybody for the input. I try to summarize the discussion so far as following. Please reply if I misunderstood some arguments.

- Not many are in favor of oneway=cw / oneway=ccw to indicate the actual direction. This is currently in the wiki but is hardly in use (about 5 times in total). I will go forward and remove this from the wiki. OK?

-  Once established is that a route should only be done in one direction with an appropriate tag, it's up to the data consumer to guess what direction (counterclockwise or clockwise) that actually is. This can be done based on the order of the members in the relations.

- The above can contain ambiguity when a relation contains less then three members. Possible solution is to split ways to avoid ambiguity, forbid one-way routes of fewer than three members, or disambiguate with 'forward' or 'backward' roles on the ways.

- One question that remains open is how to tag. On the one hand oneway=yes is currently in use with 1.2K relations. On the other had, the argument can be made that oneway=yes should be reserved to legal prescriptions and not just recommendations. Alternatives that came forward are: bidirectional=no, signed_oneway=yes, oneway=signposted, oneway=recommended, oneway=signed

And one more thing I noticed: oneway=yes is currently used for route=hiking and route=walking. What about route=bicycle. The same problem exists there for a lot of the network=lcn routes. But the wiki doesn't mention anything. I think the same logic applies there, or not?