[Tagging] The history behind why :lanes doesn't necessarily add up to lanes (Was Re: Green lanes (OT))

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 09:51:10 UTC 2019

On 18/3/19 12:38 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:

> The premise that bike lanes aren't lanes is an inherently flawed one to
> start with.  Up there with defining routes as a ref=* tag on
> constituent ways, and yet, route relations are a thing with the need
> for tagging ref=* waning.  The idea that this is an unfixible problem is
> short sighted.

The decision to not redefine the meaning of lanes=* was a deliberate one
made in the original :lanes proposal:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lanes_General_Extension#The_issues_with_the_lanes_tag

The discussion is here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/lanes_General_Extension#Relevance_of.2Frelationship_to_lanes_key

I'm not surprised. It is hard enough to get a proposal up, just try
getting one up that proposes to redefine lanes=*.