[Tagging] Do we still need cycleway=opposite_lane? (Was: Do we still need cycleway=opposite?)

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 13:34:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:41, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree, cycleway:left=opposite_lane is clearly about a bicycle lane in an "opposite" direction, but it remains unclear to what "opposite" refers (direction of OSM way or direction you would expect from the jurisdiction), and it doesn't make it clear whether this has oneway implications (the wiki says so, but the data doesn't support it, see below).

Maybe backward_lane would have been a little clearer, but the meaning
of cycleway=opposite_lane ("a cycling lane going in the opposite
direction to normal traffic flow") is clearly defined on its tag page
[1].

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway

> There seems to be more confusion about this tag in the wiki, e.g. here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway:right%3Dlane I read that cycleway=opposite_lane is used for locations with 2 bike lanes (trail is to mean "lane" on that page?)?

That was obviously wrong and i've corrected it. [2]

[2]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Acycleway%3Aright%3Dlane&type=revision&diff=1822549&oldid=1608868

> Looking at actual data it seems more than 10% of the roads with this tag also have an explicit oneway=no and roughly one third (!) do not have any oneway tag, which directly contradicts the definition.

I've just done some overpass turbo queries and came to completely
different numbers:

cycleway=opposite_lane: 9,210
cycleway=opposite_lane + oneway=yes: 8,645
--> 6% of cycleway=opposite_lane are missing oneway=yes

cycleway:right=opposite_lane: 3,626
cycleway:right=opposite_lane + oneway=yes: 3,414
--> 6% of cycleway:right=opposite_lane are missing oneway=yes

cycleway:left=opposite_lane: 956
cycleway:left=opposite_lane + oneway=yes: 883
--> 8% of cycleway:left=opposite_lane are missing oneway=yes

All cycleway*=opposite_lane: 13,792
All cycleway*=opposite_lane + oneway=yes: 12,942
--> 6% of all cycleway*=opposite_lane are missing oneway=yes

This isn't very good, but i doubt that it gets better with an
additional and cryptic cycleway:left:oneway=-1 tag.

Regards

Markus