[Tagging] Linear bike-share stations

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 19 07:34:09 UTC 2019

Mar 19, 2019, 2:03 AM by bike756 at gmail.com:

> My case for linear mapping is as follows:
>

> 1) Many stations are very long and skinny, essentially running      parallel to other linear features like sidewalks. Some stations      can be upwards of 20 or 30 meters in length and no wider than a      couple feet (if empty) or the length of a bicycle (if full).

What is wrong with mapping this as a thin area?

For me the most important part is that in reality it is an area, not a way.
Nodes makes sense as are much easier to map, but difficulty in mapping area and
 line is very similar, while area data is much more useful.
For examples see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/677266656#map=19/50.07839/19.96038 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/677266656#map=19/50.07839/19.96038> (amenity=bicycle_parking case) or
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655025821#map=19/50.05589/19.92761 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655025821#map=19/50.05589/19.92761>
(amenity=bicycle_rental case).

> 2) Linear mapping is already allowed for bicycle parking and      benches, other street furniture amenities with similar      dispositions.

And I think that it should be avoided for bicycle parkings. Not sure about benches.

> 4) Kiosk locations seem relevant, especially for very long      stations. None of these are mapped yet as far as I know but it      seems like these would be best mapped as a node on a way rather      than as a node inside a polygon.

why?

> The case against as I see it is:
>

> 1) These can already be tagged as long polygons.
>

> 2) A linear mapping is not as well supported by current software.

(3) current practice is to use either nodes or areas.

Current usage is 32 824 nodes, 1117 areas and 10 lines - see
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/H87 <http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/H87> and https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=bicycle_rental <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=bicycle_rental>

(4) Areas are much, much easier to process by data consumers.

> Perhaps the bigger question here is: the vast majority of      stations are currently mapped as nodes. If these were to get      expanded, with more added detail/accuracy would we do better to      move toward polygons or lines or both?

areas

Links to recent previous discussions on this topic:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dbicycle_rental#Mapping_as_a_.28linear.29_way.3F <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dbicycle_rental#Mapping_as_a_.28linear.29_way.3F>

https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C2VJAJCS0/p1552842220046300