[Tagging] I have been tagging mosques wrong all along

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sat Mar 23 14:12:23 UTC 2019

In the Sahelian Openstreetmap I enjoy tagging mosques because they are
prominent features, nice for navigation and easy to spot on orbital
imagery - for me it has definitely turned into a "gotta catch'em all"
game... And I'm not even Muslim !

The tagging scheme I had settled upon was amenity=place_of_worship +
religion=muslim (building=mosque if there is a main building) and
landuse=religious + religion=muslim for the plot.

I have learned from Muslims and confirmed in literature that this
tagging scheme is wrong: what I considered as the mosque itself is
merely the main prayer hall. The mosque is actually the whole complex
that I used to tag as landuse=religious.

So, here is my current position regarding the tagging of mosques:

Single building mosque, no change:
amenity=place_of_worship + religion=muslim + building=mosque

Mosque complex: tag the whole plot (often the perimeter is also
barrier=wall):
amenity=place_of_worship + religion=muslim

So, no landuse=religious anymore at all and no building=mosque for the
buildings inside a mosque complex (building=yes - or, for the
adventurous, multipart buildings with distinct minaret and dome)

Anyone else obsessed with mosques to give an opinion on this
clarification - is it correct ?