[Tagging] Ferry routes as relations?

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 01:39:15 UTC 2019

Le 24.03.19 à 00:19, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :
> it is not clear what should be included in the relation.
> Certainly the ways in the relation should connect one pier
> to another, so that routing works properly.

as for other PT relation, it may include :

- way(s) (without role) where the ferry is driving

- platform where passenger wait the ferry (pier or building, that's the
issue.. if you look at bus relation, does passenger wait on the pier ?
some pier are only used temporarily to reach the boat, other are used as
a waiting area and the building if more a "service area" (ticket sales,
information, coffee, toilet)

- stop_position where the ferry stop to allow passenger to jump in
some will argue that you can guess one of the two when you have the
other (the passenger waiting area is not far from the ferry stop position)

> Tagging a way that is not part of the ferry route as route=ferry is an
> issue for map users that assume that these ways are part of the actual
> path of the ferry

it's a subject that comes up regularly.
some data users would like some objects to be described only
with a node because they don't need more and/or beucase some apps
bug/fail with way or MPs, while other contributors transform
the node into way or area to add the extent of the object.
wanting to restrict the accuracy that some add is in my opinion
a lost cause.
so it's better to fix app that make false assumption