[Tagging] Ferry routes as relations?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 23:19:01 UTC 2019

The current page for route=ferry
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route=ferry) mentions that
ferry routes are usually tagged as ways, but can also be made with
relations. However, it is not clear what should be included in the
relation. Certainly the ways in the relation should connect one pier
to another, so that routing works properly.

Some users have also been including the terminal buildings as members
of the relation, as a "platform". See this overpass turbo query
(https%3A%2F%2Foverpass-turbo.eu%2Fs%2FHgy&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNErRovpb11Gv_sBnMYiLt9CX03ibQ).
I believe this is done by analogy with one of the Public Transport
tagging schemes. The main Public Transport wiki page does not mention
this in the section on ferries
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport).

There was a proposal
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Refined_Public_Transport)
which suggests tagging the pier of a ferry as the "platform", though
it doesn't mention the ferry terminal building.

Tagging a way that is not part of the ferry route as route=ferry is an
issue for map users that assume that these ways are part of the actual
path of the ferry, so I think it would be better to only include nodes
for ferry terminals in the type=route relation for route=ferry. I
don't quite understand the whole public transport relation system,
however.