[Tagging] Is there any use of shop=general/general_store not covered by shop=convenience/supermarket/country_store?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Mon Mar 25 15:11:15 UTC 2019

Well, there is a long wp article about it with a clear description for a start.

From that I understand, general stores are tiny department stores - i.e. a hyper market is to a convenience store as a department store is to a general store.

As it is about what they are selling, not where they can probably be found, "general" certainly seems like a better fit than "country"... If country_- and general_store are even supposed and understood by mappers as being the same thing.