[Tagging] shop=plumber vs shop=plumbing vs shop=plumbing_supplies

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:12:33 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 2:58 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me "craft" suggests small-scale, probably handmade, so things like =basket_maker; beekeeper; blacksmith; cooper; embroiderer & so on all fit as they're (usually) small, often one person operations.

Around my workplace, the bargaining units use 'craft' and 'trade'
pretty much interchangeably. A plumber, electrician, millwright,
draughtsman, machinist, ... might be referred to as either a
'craftsman' or 'tradesman'.

I know that 'craft' sometimes carries the small-scale, bespoke-work
connotation, as in 'hand-crafted' but I'm not too uncomfortable with
describing carpentry (even framing work), masonry or steamfitting as
'crafts'.