[Tagging] shop=plumber vs shop=plumbing vs shop=plumbing_supplies

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 28 11:41:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 08:19:16AM +1000, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 21:32, ael via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> wrote:
> > I invented the shop=trade after a suggestion on this list to consider
> > subtags.
>

> I was thinking about it & wondered about changing shop=trade to
> shop=trade_supply (which may be a more accurate description anyway?)

Not keen on that, and it would change existing usage.

> I'm wondering if it would be?
>
> We'd have shop=trade_supply + trade=electrical for the wholesale outlet,

shop=trade
  was not intended just for wholesale. There are many retailers who also
  have special services for various trades. The tag was explicitly meant
  to include those sorts of places.

> But perhaps business=plumbing could work and would be simpler?
> > I have always thought it odd that "business" was not used much as a tag.
> > Many of the uses of "office" seem to me to really mean "business".
> >

> That's not a bad thought either!
>

> > That could even be
> >   business=trade   trade=plumbing
> > if people think that business alone is to all encompassing. But it is
> > probably best to keep it simple.
> >

> Could be done either way.

My preference on reflection. I don't think the multiple use of the trade tag
should cause any problems, especially since the semantics is very
similar. But I haven't given it much thought, so I could be wrong.

ael