[Tagging] Bus rapid transit: service=bus vs service=busway vs no service tag

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Mar 27 11:30:44 UTC 2019

Mar 27, 2019, 11:29 AM by fernando.trebien at gmail.com:

> Hello,
>
> I find it strange to use highway=service without being able to add a
> service=* to specify the type of service way, but that's how most BRTs
> [1] are currently mapped, for example, TransJakarta, Bogota's
> TransMilenio, and the Metrobus systems of Mexicy City and Buenos
> Aires.
>
> I've seen service=busway applied to the ways of some BRTs [1], such as
> in Los Angeles' Orange Line and Nantes' Line 4, and its usage has been
> growing slowly, but it is not documented. On the other hand,
> service=bus is much more common, but the wiki discourages its use [2]
> since 2017, although I could not find any discussion supporting this
> change.

Given that warning was reaction to page claiming that this tag must be
added because unspecified renderer is broken I think that
no discussion was necessary to add the warning.

I edited the page now a bit.

> It seems service=bus was used to compensate for "issues with a
> routing engine" [2], but no other applications seem to support this
> value, and maybe those app-related issues no longer exist.
>
> As of 2019, what do you think is the ideal/correct way of mapping
> these bus corridors? Should service=* be avoided on them? Should
> service=busway be documented? Should service=bus be replaced with
> service=busway?

service=busway/bus seems OK to me (note, I am not a native speaker),
but I am not convinced that it would be very useful.

I would just set appropriate access tags.

I found also
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368500255#map=19/50.04798/19.92933 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368500255#map=19/50.04798/19.92933>
with

bus:lanes:backward  = designated
bus:lanes:forward = designated
psv:lanes:backward = designated
psv:lanes:forward = designated
I am not sure is it an optimal lane tagging, but in general lane tagging may be
useful here, maybe more than a new service tag (or in addition to).