[Tagging] Bus rapid transit: service=bus vs service=busway vs no service tag

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 18:30:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 9:03 AM marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I agree. in addition, the description is very strange.
> "Dedicated bus service lane or road <...>"
> a road with several lanes must not be splitted in several one-lane-way.
> so this tag mix access and lane description.

That is correct. I suppose the original writer confused "lane" and
"track", as there would (typically) be no reason to split a lane from
the main track. (I know one exception though. [1])

> for the road going to a bus station, maybe service=driveway fit.

It depends on what is meant by "going to". In BRTs, the bus tracks run
through very long distances, not just in bus stations. They of course
"go to" bus stations, but I don't think it was intended for usage only
in/near bus stations.

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-March/022360.html

--
Fernando Trebien