[Tagging] Values in namespaces/prefixes/suffixes Considered Harmful - Or: Stop over-namespacing and prefix-fooling

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 20:44:04 UTC 2019

I strive to separate all entities by function to a reasonable extent.

> what about amenity=school;place_of_worship
> is this desirable tagging?
>
> What does it mean? A mix of a school and a place_of_worship or a place of worship and a school?

Could you please give us more information on this one?

> amenity=bench;wastebasket

It would be best to create two separate nodes, one with amenity=bench
and another one with amenity=waste_basket placed at the exact
positions. Although there already exists a sane tagging shortcut for
just this:

amenity=bench + bin=yes

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bin

> amenity=wastebasket;recycling

I guess that you want to indicate a recycling container that also
includes a non-recycling communal waste compartment. By mechanically
translate the wiki page, we arrive at the following:
amenity=recycling + recycling=paper;glass_bottles;waste

Or even better would be to create two separate nodes, one with
amenity=recycling + recycling=paper;glass_bottles and another one with
amenity=waste_basket placed at the proper container positions.