[Tagging] Whispering asphalt

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu May 2 20:24:38 UTC 2019

I have not heard of “whispering asphalt” but I know that in some areas of the state I live in they have been using a porous asphalt on roads to provide better traction during rain storms.

So I am not sure if the current uses of “asphalt:type=porous” would be to indicate pavement designed for good traction in the rain or if it was for making a less noisy road.

From taginfo, it looks like asphalt:type has only been used a few times and always with the value of porous. And it looks like they are all in the one area you found with your overpass query. Perhaps the original mapper could be contacted to see what they were trying to describe.

Cheers!
Tod