[Tagging] Non-orthogonal crossing=* tag proposals: crossing=marked/unmarked vs crossing:markings=yes/no

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:35:53 UTC 2019

> crossing=traffic_signals – there are explicit traffic signals that tell
pedestrians when to stop. There are very likely road markings, but even if
not, the absence of road markings, in the presence of actual traffic
signals, is irrelevant for how this crossing operates.

I think the other definitions match up with the wiki (though they are more
specific here than there).

What does it mean for a crossing to operate and why would ground markings
be irrelevant? The answers to these questions would be definitions of how
to use these tags, if we came to consensus.

For example, my interpretation is that in this case, "operate" is that
contentious idea of "control" of traffic and pedestrians. This is
reinforced by the example of "tells pedestrians when to stop". But maybe
you're thinking of something different. If that is the case, we're back to
square 1: some tags are about ground conditions (unmarked/uncontrolled),
others are about "control" and lights (traffic_signals).

I can't interpret this schema, as a data consumer attempting to route
pedestrians. Too much is left unknown. As a mapper and organizer of mapping
parties, I still have an almost impossible task in front of me explaining
these tags and what to prioritize (ground condition vs. undocumented
"control").