[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun May 26 12:08:22 UTC 2019

I've created a complete proposal page for golf=cartpath

This tag has been used to specify that a path is a cart path within a
golf course, designated for the use of golf carts.

Please discuss if this tag is necessary and useful in combination with
highway=service or highway=path and golf_cart=designated.

Previously, some users had imported or tagged features as
golf=cartpath alone, but I believe this is incorrect; a golf cart path
should always be a type of highway, usually highway=service or
highway=path, even if the access is =private.

I see 2 possible benefits to adding this tag:

1) special renderings for golf course features, without having to do
spacial queries to find features within leisure=golf_course areas
(which is a little difficult)

2) helping validate cart path features that are within golf courses
but not connected to other paths.

The alternative is to just use the usually highway and access tags,
including golf_cart=designated and access=private / customers etc and
rely on the leisure=golf_course area to say that "this path is a golf
cart path".

Thoughts?