[Tagging] Inland customs offices

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 09:18:10 UTC 2019

Am 30. Mai 2019 22:40:56 MESZ schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:
>On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 21:19, Anton Klim <tohaklim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is another, older key, amenity=customs, which is actually used
>at
>> border crossings (from what I’ve seen) to denote customs control.
>> I am not sure why the amenity tag was deprecated (it also seems to be
>used
>> more often than the office tag). A customs office is not necessarily
>> place where such control can be carried out and surely should be
>> distinguished?
>>

>Amenity:  n.
>
>   1. Pleasantness.
>   2. A thing or circumstance that is welcome and makes life a little
>   easier.
>   3.  Convenience.
>   4.  A unit pertaining to the infrastructure of a community.
>
>It you squint really hard, you can maybe see number 4 applying.  But
>the
>fact that amenity=*
>is usually applied in the context of number 2 or 3 makes a customs
>office a
>bad fit.

Indeed. I don't think amenity would fit for customs offices either. Police offices are already somewhat difficult to qualify as amenities, but you can put them under no 4. A customs office however doesn't serve the community in the same way, so it shouldn't be an amenity.

But independently from that, we agree that there's no reason to make a difference between customs offices at borders or at other places, as long as they control goods?