[Tagging] emergency=no on hospitals is ambiguous

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 10:18:18 UTC 2019

On 03/11/19 18:51, Francesco Ansanelli wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I don't know is anybody wrote about this before, but I have noticed
> that the emergency tag changes meaning on hospitals and the result is
> weird:
> emergency tag indicate whether an emergency vehicle has access to the
> way/point, but on hospitals his value is about emergency rooms.
> I cannot imagine an hospital that disallowed access to emergency
> vehicles, but the editors by example forgot about this and indicate so...
> To avoid any ambiguity a rename could clarify the situation:
> emergency -> emergency_room
> On every hospital and we can assume emergency=yes on them (it's hard
> to me to imagine a place that is emergency=no btw).
> What do you think?

It is not only an 'emergency room' that is required to be suitable for
emergencies.
Some 'hospitals' simply cannot deal with emergencies and so emergency=no
is a good tag for them.

As we all know an emergency vehicle will not pay much attention to stop
lights etc,
so if it suits them then emergency=no will not stop them calling into  a
hospital. But most ambulances will already know of the hospitals
capability and so they won't be using OSM. It is the people travelling
by private vehicle who will not be aware of the capabilities that can be
caught out.