[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pedestrian lane

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 13:57:14 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 at 20:37, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> I like your proposal but think it needs to clarify the difference between a pedestrian lane and a shoulder [1]. In the US, most (many?) states allow pedestrians to walk on shoulders if there is no sidewalk/footway, with the exception of motorways. How would a mapper know if this is a shoulder or a pedestrian lane?

Thanks for your input. I didn't think about that because here in
Switzerland shoulders only seem to exist on motorways and trunk roads
and because of their difference in appearance (shoulder: continuous
white line [1], pedestrian lane: continuous yellow line with yellow
diagonal stripes [2]). In the United States, it seems that pedestrian
lanes are marked accordingly. [3] I guess that in other countries,
pedestrian lanes are also marked or signed accordingly or have a
different appearance like in Switzerland, but when in doubt, it is
certainly better to not tag a lane as pedestrian lane. I'll add a
warning to the proposal page.

[1]: https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/vhd1RZj0JXfpHIZ1uHj0xA
[2]: https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/6NiPeYEe87G_ex49SqwFtg
[3]: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bicycle_pedestrian/publications/small_towns/fhwahep17024_lg.pdf,