[Tagging] Service road - Can it be a driveway if serving multiple houses?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 15:08:00 UTC 2019

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 14:54, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think of a driveway as typically leading to only one house,

Usually.  There are exceptions, such as where there's a gateway to a drive
that was
originally for a single house but a new house was later built on the
grounds.

> and would generally call the shared ones something else, probably "service
> roads"

Or even a residential road.  There are housing estates near me where that
is a better
fit than service road.  A service road is a means to an end: public road
network at one end,
a single house or smaller cluster of houses at the other.  When there are
houses all the
way along it, that's a residential road (in my opinion).  It's a grey area.

.  I'd make an exception for the access to a pair of houses e.g.
> semi-detached, or adjacent but linked by their garages/carports.

Yeah, that's another exception.  There's a few like that near me.  Housing
estate, residential
road, shared driveway to the garages.

--
Paul