[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Nov 6 08:08:25 UTC 2019

5 Nov 2019, 18:47 by selfishseahorse at gmail.com:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 18:25, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This a well-known (small) problem that from time to time turns up in OSM discussions. And then the discussion fizzles out again.
>>

> Which is also a well-known problem ...
>
> I guess that bicycle=no almost always means that *driving* a bicycle
> isn't allowed. So it seems just logical to use a new tag for places
> where pushing (or transporting) bicycles isn't allowed too. Maybe
> bicycle=total_ban or bicycle_pushed=no?

bicycle_pushed=no?

bicycle_pushed is more clear for someone encountering it
for the first time - bicycle=total_ban is a bit confusing

Especially as in some places access for bicycles
may be "never" (explicit "no bicycle" signs)
or "only during extreme weather" (one of cases
when it is legal to cycle on sidewalks in Poland).
First case should be tagged as bicycle=no, not bicycle=total_ban.

Also, it may be OK to carry bicycle in a box and not OK
to push (not road access, but in some train you are not allowed to
enter with bicycle,
bit once bicycle is in a box this is considered as entirely fine)

Additional value to bicycle tag would require support
from anyone processing it, while bicycle_pushed=no
is backward compatible.