[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Nov 7 23:32:08 UTC 2019

Jmapb wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see any reason why
> data consumers, including the bicycle modes of routing engines,
> should ever interpret bicycle=no in a way that permits walking
> bicycles. This is exactly why we have a bicycle=dismount tag.

Because mapping is imperfect. I don't see any theoretical reason why data
consumers should ever interpret highway=residential in a developed country
as anything other than a paved road, but hey, you try bike routing across
the US with that assumption and see where it gets you. (Probably: dehydrated
and dead in a ditch in New Mexico.)

People often tag bicycle=no when the reality is =dismount. People also tag
bicycle=no when the rules say =no but in real life =dismount is tolerated.
I'm not going to send someone on a 3-mile detour when they could push their
bike for 30m instead, even though a never-enforced sign says thou shalt not.

Richard
cycle.travel

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html