[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Nov 7 17:53:27 UTC 2019

On 11/6/2019 3:08 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> bicycle_pushed=no?
>
> bicycle_pushed is more clear for someone encountering it
> for the first time - bicycle=total_ban is a bit confusing
>
> Especially as in some places access for bicycles
> may be "never" (explicit "no bicycle" signs)
> or "only during extreme weather" (one of cases
> when it is legal to cycle on sidewalks in Poland).
> First case should be tagged as bicycle=no, not bicycle=total_ban.
>
> Also, it may be OK to carry bicycle in a box and not OK
> to push (not road access, but in some train you are not allowed to
> enter with bicycle,
> bit once bicycle is in a box this is considered as entirely fine)

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see any reason why data
consumers, including the bicycle modes of routing engines, should ever
interpret bicycle=no in a way that permits walking bicycles. This is
exactly why we have a bicycle=dismount tag.

Carrying a bicycle is an edge case that might deserve its own value --
bicycle=carried works for me. And if we need further refined values to
explicitly permit a folding bike or bike-in-a-box, no problem:
bicycle=folded, bicycle=boxed.

(Special permission for extreme weather should be encoded with some
variation of the conditional access tag scheme.)

Jason