[Tagging] Changeset 62867521

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 01:29:18 UTC 2019

Hello,

User dvdhns are having a friendly discussion regarding this changeset:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62867521#map=16/40.3021/-105.6436

They have some good reasons for adding "(off trail)" to the end of the name
to the "Fire Trail", but I don't think they override the rule that we
should only use the name tag for the name [0].  Note that in any event, it
is not really "off trail", it is a well defined trail, but is not an
official trail according to the Park Service, thus in OSM tagging it is
"informal" [1].  Perhaps some others in the community could weigh in on
this issue.

dvdhns also disconnected the Fire Trail from the nearby official trail,
even though they are connected, albeit with a small barrier of rocks and
logs (according to their comment, the last time I was at this location,
there was no barrier).  I suggest mapping the barrier separately, and
perhaps indicating that the first few meters of the fire trail are
"trail_visibility=intermediate."

Mike

[0] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Name_is_the_name_only
[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal