[Tagging] Changeset 62867521

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 02:36:02 UTC 2019

I just added my thoughts to the changeset comment. I agree that name should
be the proper name only and all other information can go in other tags or
the description field.

Generally an "official" (I use the term loosely) trail will be signposted
and potentially part of a hiking route, and an "informal" route won't be
signposted an not part of a hiking route, is that your view too? In that
case for the "official" one I'd use foot=designated and make it part of the
route=hiking relation, and foot=yes for the informal one. This matches the
definitions of =yes and =designated at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking_Maps lists a range of hiking
maps many do show more information than the default OSM rendered.

I agree it's best to use a barrier=* tag on the node instead of
disconnecting the ways, as that barrier might only block motor_vehicles,
not foot access, which the barrier can be tagged as such.