[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Nov 8 04:49:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 16:13:49 -0500
Jmapb via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> On 11/7/2019 2:09 PM, Mark Wagner wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 10:26:14 +0000
> > marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ere possession of a bicycle is forbidden
> >> can you share the a picture of this traffic sign ?
> >>
> > It's a sign for a state natural area rather than a federal
> > wilderness area, and the situation is a little fuzzy on walking
> > bicycles (it depends on what "operate" means), but the sign, if
> > present, might look something like this: https://imgur.com/4qOuNmf
> >
> > It's also possible that the sign would simply be something like
> > "entering Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness" with a standard "no bicycles"
> > symbol, with "no bicycles" being understood to mean "no possession
> > of bicycles" rather than "no riding bicycles".
>
> This is a typical US wilderness area
> sign:https://i.imgur.com/7YQOhgIl.jpg
> <https://i.imgur.com/7YQOhgIl.jpg>
>
> Here's a pictographic variation: https://i.imgur.com/K5afLpOl.jpg
>
> In neither case is the ride/push distinction called out. But if forest
> rangers see me with a bike, telling them "I was just pushing it" isn't
> going to prevent a hefty fine.

The sign in your first example is a summarized version of 16 USC 1133.
The actual text of the law specifies "...no use of motor vehicles,
motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other
form of mechanical transport,..."  That "other form of mechanical
transport" clause has been interpreted to cover anything with wheels.

--
Mark