[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Nov 8 16:13:01 UTC 2019

8 Nov 2019, 09:47 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>

>> On 7. Nov 2019, at 18:54, Jmapb via Tagging <>> tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>>> > wrote:
>>

>> Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see any reason why      data consumers, including the bicycle modes of routing engines,      should ever interpret bicycle=no in a way that permits walking      bicycles.
>>

> the tag “bicycle” according to the access tag wiki page is about "cyclists": > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>>  and the context is that it is about the vehicle (and not for example a professional cyclist walking or driving in a car). Whether or not this includes people pushing a bike may depend on the local legislation. It is not uncommon to see the mode of transport as the mode of transport (i.e. if you are walking but carry a bicycle, you will typically still be considered a pedestrian). In Italy and Germany at least, but likely in many other places, bicycle=no means you may not ride a bike there, but it also means you can push a bike or even motorbike unless there are restrictions for pedestrians as well.

It is result of (at least in Poland) cyclist riding on vehicle being considered as a vehicle,
but cyclist walking and pushing bike considered as a pedestrian and vehicle when not
in use is AFAIK not considered as a vehicle, at least for traffic law purposes.

>> This is exactly why we have a bicycle=dismount tag.
>>

> IMHO we have this tag because in some places there are signs that state: "cyclists dismount".

+1

>> Carrying a bicycle is an edge case that might deserve its own      value -- bicycle=carried works for me. And if we need further      refined values to explicitly permit a folding bike or      bike-in-a-box, no problem: bicycle=folded, bicycle=boxed.
>>

> It is not a super rare edge case, people carrying folded bikes in a carrying bag is common in some places, e.g. train stations or subways. I would see this as a different kind of restriction if you are not allowed to bring certain things with you even as a pedestrian (e.g. no food, no beverages, no bicycles, no firearms, no fireworks, no animals, no camera equipped cellphones, no umbrellas, no google glass, no hats, ...), hence would not reuse the "bicycle" key for stating this.

+1

>> (Special permission for extreme weather should be encoded with      some variation of the conditional access tag scheme.)
>>

> +1

In Poland it is countrywide law applying for all sidewalks, not signed anywhere.

I think that utility of tagging it explicitly is low, just do not add bicycle=no to sidewalks where not
signed as "no cycling".