[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Nov 10 17:47:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-11-10 at 17:20 +0000, Paul Allen wrote:
> "Take home" and "take away" share an important property: "not for
> consumption on
> the premises."  Whether you take the stuff home or take it off the
> premises and
> consume it nearby, you are not consuming it on the premises.
>
> Try a related situation: a chip shop near me.  Some chip shops are
> takeaway
> only.  This one happens to have seats and tables, so it gets tagged
> as a
> cafe with take_away=yes.  Some people who buy fish and chips to take
> away
> go across the road, sit on one of the two benches there, and eat
> them.  Others
> take their fish and chips all the way home.  Taking the fish and
> chips home
> is one of the subsets of things you can do if you take the fish and
> chips away.

The big difference between the take away and take home is the packaging
quantities.

A fish and chip shop, as do most other takeaways) sells a meal that is
ready to eat (1).

A take away ice-cream is again ready to eat, it is a cornet/tub/or a
single lolly.

Ice cream to take home, as sold in supermarkets, is in large packs,
intended to be dispensed from your home freezer.

Whilst a group could split a pack of lollys or cornetos and sit on the
bench over the road, they are unlikely to do that with a 5 litre tub of
ice-cream.

Phil (trigpoint)

1. I doubt many Indian takeaways are eaten on the bench outside.