[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:25:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 at 18:21, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> However, shop=ice_cream says to take home, not to take away.
>

> Then the wiki is unclear and misleading.  And it looks like somebody has taken an
> alread-misleading page, decided it was a synonym of amenity=ice_cream and then
> made it even more misleading.

Regardless of what the wiki says, i wouldn't call a takeaway a shop.

> "Take home" and "take away" share an important property: "not for consumption on
> the premises."  Whether you take the stuff home or take it off the premises and
> consume it nearby, you are not consuming it on the premises.
>
> Try a related situation: a chip shop near me.  Some chip shops are takeaway
> only.  This one happens to have seats and tables, so it gets tagged as a
> cafe with take_away=yes.  Some people who buy fish and chips to take away
> go across the road, sit on one of the two benches there, and eat them.  Others
> take their fish and chips all the way home.  Taking the fish and chips home
> is one of the subsets of things you can do if you take the fish and chips away.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that fast food restaurants or
takeaways are currently both tagged amenity=fast_food and that the
distinction whether they have seats and tables or not is made with
takeaway=no/yes/only. (At least this seems to be the case in middle
and southern Europe.)