[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 02:18:25 UTC 2019

Since this discussion is about documented tags which are currently in
use, rather than discussing a proposal for a new way of tagging, It
would be helpful to focus on the way things are in reality. As Mateusz
Konieczny asked:

[is there a] "consistent difference between shop=ice_cream and
amenity=ice_cream in real tagging by mappers", or not?

It does not appear that these tags are consistently used in a
different way, but rather than some users have typed in "shop="
instead of the more common key "amenity=".

- Joseph Eisenberg