[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 23:40:02 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 10. Nov 2019, at 18:33, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> Are you claiming that there is some consistent difference between
> shop=ice_cream and amenity=ice_cream in real tagging by mappers?

I have no idea about consistent use of these tags, but I am claiming they are not identical in meaning. And if you believe they are, I don’t understand why you take issue, you could just treat them the same.
When we speak about ice cream to take home, small ice cream booths may not be equipped to satisfy your request. They may not have suitable containers/packaging and very likely they will not have liquid air for longer transportation. Ice cream is sold in many different ways, by piece (cone/cup, sandwich) or by weight, and besides the ice cream there are similar products which are in between ice cream and pastry (semi freddo / half frozen etc.). Of course a cone is meant for instant consumption, but many other forms of ice cream are intended to be eaten as dessert of a meal or as a cake. You typically can’t buy a piece of cake (in an Italian pasticceria or gelateria), and nobody (almost) would eat a whole cake or semifreddo, it would be both, too expensive, and too much sugar and fat.

Cheers Martin