[Tagging] emergency=ambulance_station vs amenity=fire_station

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 11 14:21:00 UTC 2019

On 10/11/2019 16:53, Greg Troxel wrote:

> So I agree these tags should be kept separate.

I'm struggling to comprehend how a question I deliberately kept simple
at just one sentence long can cause so much misinterpretation.

>   As for emergency= and
> amenity=, that's a historical artifact and doesn't matter.

That just makes it historically wrong. Being incorrect for a long time
isn't a reason not to fix it. Having two different keys to describe
entities which come under the heading 'emergency services' is confusing
to experienced OSMers let alone newbies.

As emergency=ambulance_station appears to be a later invention, was
there a valid reason fire_station did follow suit?

DaveF