[Tagging] emergency=ambulance_station vs amenity=fire_station

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Nov 12 15:16:02 UTC 2019

12 Nov 2019, 11:47 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> We are (almost) all volunteers, Joseph. It's irritating that this claim is repeatedly rolled out as an excuse.

You are not entitled to map renderer focusing issues that you consider important.

You have no right to demand that other will spend their free time on something just because it
is important to you.

In exactly the same way as I have no right to demand that you will make trip to Kraków, Poland
to map bicycle parkings there.

> I'm increasingly disappointed my *voluntary* contributions to the OSM database are are not being fairly or accurately being represented by OSM-Carto due to errors in the programming. It's ridiculous these errors (many of the 400 open issues) can't be fixed "for many years".

FYI:
- any serious softawe project has many open issues, often for many years
- improving OSM Carto is not mandatory for anyone
- this kind of hostile and entitled comments are discouraging participation, especially for new
potential developers

> Is OSM-Carto fit to be promoted as OSM's flagship, de-facto rendering?

Feel free to make a better one.

> Please get back to me when OSM-Carto has a valid reason for not rendering disused bridges.

Done already.

OSM Carto renders bridges tagged with man_made=bridge (and bridges on railway=disused).

(at least thanks to this part I can pretend that this is not 100% offtopic)
----

To repeat: you are entitled to some things but "other people will consider my desires in topic of
 OSM map render as the most important thing in their life" is not a human right.

If you want to encourage other to work on OSM Carto map style (or other map style) then
I would recommend to avoid hostile, entitled complaints for a start.

----

And if someone wonders why iD developers deeply dislike mailing lists - probably this
kind of comments is justified part of it.