[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:14:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 00:23, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11. Nov 2019, at 14:38, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For better or worse, shop=cafe is documented as selling beverages AND
> light meals, and this
> is how it is understood in British English.
>

> from the description, light meals aren’t a hard requirement, or it could
> be seen as satisfied by selling cakes (or ice cream cups in the case of
> cuisine =ice_cream):

I suspect that, over the years, people have forced things into cafe because
it came closest
to what they wanted without having to create a new value and then somebody
later documented
it.  Or people bring different cultural assumptions to the term "cafe."

Question.  You've had a busy day.  No time to eat breakfast or lunch.
You're hungry.  You're
in a strange town.  You're looking for somewhere to eat.  You look at the
map for cafes.
Would you be happy if you went to one and it sold only ice cream or only
cake?

Questions.  We already have tags that can distinguish between a shop
selling ice cream
to take out and a place with tables and seats where you buy ice cream to
eat inside
(possibly with a takeaway option).  What purpose does it serve to collapse
these into
a single tag?  What purpose does it serve to replace one of them with a
cafe?  Are you
willing to fix up all the existing usage?  Or is it easier all around to
fix up the documentation
and live with the fact that some existing places may be mismapped?

--
Paul